Location sensitive smart micelles for the delivery of highly insoluble drugs
- SmartCelleTMtechnology comprising PPI’s proprietary amphiphilic block copolymers can entrap a wide range of water insoluble drugs  within their hydrophobic cores to generate dynamic nanostructures sensitive to their local environment.
- Once incorporated, SmartCelleTMmaintains insoluble drugs in a stable, non-crystalline or ‘amorphous’ form even at elevated temperatures.
- SmartCelle formulations generate low viscosity, high concentration solutions in water allowing large amounts of drug to be injected in very small volumes.
- After injection, SmartCelle micelles begin to disperse releasing drug in a soluble form within the blood stream allowing efficacious blood concentrations to be achieved quickly.
- Most importantly, the unique structure of SmartCelleTM micelles allows sustained levels of drug in the blood, reducing peak concentrations and increasing exposure up to three fold.
- Such ‘pharmacokinetics’ allow reduced dosing frequency, a lower toxicity profile and, in the case of PPI-1501, an increased opioid sparing potential.
- Due to their nano-scale SmartCelle micelles can be sterilized easily by simple filtration rather than the costly and problematic autoclaving required by some delivery technologies.
- SmartCelle copolymers are made from FDA approved materials that have been shown in animal studies to be well tolerated even at very high concentrations.
- Formulation is a simple two- step process in most cases and high stability is ensured by lyophilization.